Friday, January 22, 2010

Triathlons and training

It has been 2 months now since Ironman and I didn't go through the typical depression after a big-time race. I went through a euphoria for two weeks, then back to normal. I am always planning the next race and don't want to stop training, so I don't usually go through a down phase after crossing a major finish line.

However, with that being said, I have gone through major, major difficulties in stamina. My endurance isn't what it was before Ironman when I was doing 5 hour bike rides followed the next day by a 15-20 mile run and swim. Now, I have a hard time mustering 13 miles of running. I did 15 miles last weekend and could barely muster the energy past mile 12. I have planned on doing a marathon on Valentine's day (as I thought that is the perfect way to spend a silly holiday), but now not so sure. I should run 20 miles this weekend and see. If I don't make it, I'll switch to a half marathon on Feb. 14th and complete a full in the spring... maybe 2 fulls in the spring when I'm hoping my stamina level is back and 20 miles is a walk in the park like it used to be pre-Ironman.

I am also planning my international marathon and very excited at where I will be heading. I will also find out if I won the lottery into the NYC marathon.

Plus, triathlon season is just around the corner. Unfortunately, I do not hear the pool calling my name. I can, though, hear my goggles yelling "don't touch, don't touch." Hmmm...