Monday, November 9, 2009

Weekend Update

Friday night I spent swimming laps at the pool. My friends all had dates or went to the movies and I swam never-ending laps and went to bed early. Such is life and it is my choice to spend my Friday evening at the gym.

Saturday I did a 3.5 hour bike ride and felt really out of it. I was in some kind of funk. I had a brick scheduled with a quick 6 mile run afterwards, but had to wait a while to recoop my energy level to do the run. So tired and weird feeling. I think my electrolyte level was too low.

Sunday I participated in a 4000m open water swim race. If this is any indication of what is to come, I better get my armor set up and practice swimming with fists. I was clobbered and hit and kicked so hard my goggles came loose and knocked my contact out of my eye. I treaded water to blink it back in. At 1300m, I threw up from an excess of water intake, suffered from 2000m to 3000m, and then from 3000m to 4000m, I swam my heart out as fast as I could. I don't know how I placed, but it doesn't matter. I did the best I could.

The race director said anyone not wearing a wetsuit is called a swimmer, those with wetsuits are called triathletes. That is fine with me. "Jennifer" and "swimmer" do not belong in the same sentence.

My wetsuit worked fine and didn't split open. Success!