Monday, July 27, 2009

Bike Crash

So this weekend was a painful one. On Saturday I did a 6.5 mile run, followed by a 2.5 hour bike ride, at least I was supposed to do 2.5 hours. On my very, very last 1.5 miles, I skidded into some gravel and completely fell off of my bike. I got up and saw blood dripping everywhere. I touched my chin and blood was gushing out. I was on a road that is not often traveled, so was concerned what I would do. Not too long after, a car drove by, with two very good-looking men who stopped to help. They gave me a towel to lie on and pulled out a cell phone since I couldn't think straight enough to use mine. I ended up completely blacking out and dropped the phone. I feel really badly about that...but I came to and one of them called my parents, which of course they didn't answer. The men drove off and I'm left sitting on the side of the road. I tried to stand up and everytime I did, everything went black. So I just lied on the towel on the road for about 5-10 minutes till I could see straight again.

I realized that I am still bleeding and needed to get somewhere quickly. The one way I could get to my parent's house, which is where I was biking, was to just get back on my bike and bike home. So with my shirt all bloodied and still dripping blood, I left a trail 1.5 miles long of blood. I got back and think I went into shock. I got nauseated and had blood all over my parents' garage.

They said my cuts were so deep I would need stitches. I've never had stitches in my life.

So we drove to Urgent Care only to be told there's nothing they can do for me and just to go straight to the hospital. They offered to call an ambulance, but we just drove. I got to the hospital and had to have stitches in my chin and knee and I sprained my wrist.

It is not pretty. I have lacerations all over my arms, legs, knee and face...not to mention my arm brace for my sprained wrist.

What a bad day. I feel like I have been seriously beaten up.

I couldn't even watch the end of the Tour de France. Seeing all those bikers get to ride in Paris as I sat on my bed unable to move an inch.