Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Racing, racing, racing

This weekend I did a couple of short races: Ahwatukee Foothills 5K and Alport Syndrome 5K. Both short little races and I often don't do 5Ks, as I find I spend more time waiting for the race to start than I do actually running it. However, I am trying to race more this year and having a race prods me to get up early than reach over and hit the alarm clock one more time.

On Saturday morning I ran the Ahwatukee Foothills 5K and got my worst 5K time. I heard the course was flat and fast...not so much. The first half was down hill, but it was an out and back run, so that meant the second half was uphill, and straight into a very large head wind to boot. I could feel my legs moving, but my body felt like it wasn't going anywhere. I placed 5th out of 24 in my age group, but was really disappointed with my time.

I chose to run the Alport Syndrome 5K to help raise funds for an important charity. It took place at Kiwanis Park, one of my favorite places to run, but a pretty tough course. I finished 28th out of over 250 overall and felt like I had a good run. Not a PR by any means, but felt really great at the end. And, I supported a good cause.