Saturday, September 25, 2010

Good news and bad news

So good news is the night club across the street was closed last night so I got a proper night's sleep. It is a beautiful day today. I also watched a travel show on Cape Town and they showed this Greenmarket Square. I knew I wanted to go to that when I got here so I asked where it is, turns out, right outside the hotel. I can literally open up my window and look at it. I also had such a good night last night. I found Victoria's Wharf which is this beautiful shopping mall right on the water with tons of outdoor restaurants and bands playing.

So for the bad news....I am totally shaking right now and pissed. I feel like my trip has a sour taste now. I got up to explore Cape Town on foot. The weather is outstanding and so I walked by the parliament buildings and into these gardens with roses all over. Table Top Mountain is very bright today. Then for the first time ever of my life with all 30-35 countries I have visited, I had an attempted mugging. I was out in the middle of the gardens with plenty of people around at 9:00am, in daylight. One man walked next to me and said do you have any change, I said no. I always keep my money hidden, but I had a camera in a pocket with my jacket zipped up so no one could pickpocket, but he could see the outline of it. So he made a grab for it and I said "NO!" I turned to run and his friend, the accomplice, boxed me in and started to make a grab for me too. I hit him and started running. I ran right to a couple and said "those guys just tried to mug me!" I was shaking. They then gave me a lecture about walking by myself and I shouldn't be doing it. I said yes, I am leaving right now. I went back to my hotel room and almost started crying. That has never happened to me and I travel alone a lot. It was so scary. I am now scared to go anywhere and with every step I take, I keep looking around at everyone. I don't think I am going to run tomorrow with an iPod, just in case I get mugged during the race. I am so ticked off too. I wanted to say to that couple, well, I am single and don't have anyone to be here with, so it is either walk alone or sit in my hotel room and by doing that, this vacation and the money I spent is pointless. Sometimes being single sucks. I want to go explore the city, but scared to now. Part of me just wants to get out of town and forget the race. I plan on going on a tour this afternoon to some towns of people who were displaced with Apartheid. Maybe a tour will be safer if I keep with others. I have never experienced this before. Pray for my safe return. I am taking cabs everywhere now.